Prep 15 mins
Cook 72 hrs
I scoured the net looking for a recipe for this, since I couldn't find any giardiniera at our local grocery to have with Chicago Italian Beef Chicago Italian Beef. I found this recipe by PHONETEK on AllRecipes.com, and tweaked it to suit my family's preferences. I use fresh jalapenos in the summer, and pickled ones through the winter. Because we use this directly in the Italian Beef recipe, I cut out a good quantity of the oil. Note: the cook time is the marinating time. Posted here for safekeeping.
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced or 25 pickled jalapeno peppers, rings
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml salt
- water, to cover
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 120.48 g canchopped olives
- 236.59 ml white vinegar
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, and onion.
- Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover.
- Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables.
- In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives.
- Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well.
- Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
Thank you for posting this recipe! To be able to make giardiniera from scratch is really a gift. I am looking forward to playing with the veggies a bit (replacing carrots for cauliflower) but am truly grateful not to have to buy store bought!! Thanks again so very much :)