This is out of a cookbook called "Patio Daddy-O" 50' recipes with a 90's twist...making a grilled cheese sandwich with a hot iron and aluminum foil may seem odd at first. But after you taste them, you'll agree that the weight and even heat of the iron produce the toastiest, crispiest cheese sandwiches on the planet...you can use the healthy sprouted breads and fancy cheeses...but to really get the awesome flavor you need to use the old-fashioned American cheese ( the ones wrapped in plastic) nested between slices of white bread...Open the foil occasionally while grilling to make sure the sandwich doesn't overcook; when finished, the bread should be thin, almost flat, and beautifully bronzed, oozing cheese. Cooking time does not include heating the iron...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat an electric iron to medium heat. (not on steam).
- 2Butter one side of each bread slice.
- 3With the buttered side on the outside, make a sandwich with the cheese, leaving a 1/4-inch border of bread.
- 4Wrap the sandwich completely in one layer of aluminum foil.
- 5Place on a counter or cutting board and weight with a hot iron.
- 6Leave the iron on each side until the sandwich is very flat and toasted, about 4 minute per side. (Lift the foil periodically to make sure the iron is not too hot.).
- 7Unwrap and serve.
- 9Replace the American cheese with thinly slice Fontina cheese. Add a layer of prosciutto ham. Proceed as directed.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot-Iron Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.8
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 531.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.5 g