Recipe by Chef PotPie
I just came across this written down on one of my old recipe cards stuck in an old cookbook, it's at least 20-something years old! Truthfully, I don't remember if I made this for one of our parties. But it does sound interesting if you've got a lot of people to feed! The recipe card doesn't state if the ingredients should be heated, but I think maybe they should be. The celery, bell peppers, and peanuts might give an interesting texture...I don't know, this is a big Zaar experiment! Report back if you try this! :)
- 3 lbs hot dogs, sliced 1/4 inch
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 48 slices cheddar cheese
- 48 hot dog buns, split and buttered
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients except cheese and buns. Cut cheese slices in half; place one on each bun half.
- Broil halves 3-5 inches from heat, 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and buns are toasted.
- Spread hot dog mixture on bottom halves of buns, top with remaining halves.