Recipe by Fauve
These hot dogs are especially for the grill. This recipe totally knocks the "boring" out of everyday franks. Very unique and spicy. This recipe is a variation of Steven Raichlen's "Hot" Dogs recipe, in his book: "How to Grill" - NOTE: You will need butcher's string for tying.
Top Review by my3beachbabes
My Family and I really enjoyed these!! It did not really take that long to put together... I used pepper jack cheese instead of regular jack because that is what I had on hand! We will be making these again!!!! Thanks for posting!
- 8 hot dogs (jumbo variety are best)
- 32 jalapeno peppers (jarred slices, more or less according to your heat quotient)
- 4 -5 slices cheddar cheese or 4 -5 slices monterey jack cheese
- 8 hot dog buns
- condiments, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Slit hotdogs lengthwise and open to a "V".
- Insert about half a cheese slice and about 4 jalapeno slices into the slit of each hot dog.
- Tie hot dogs crosswise in 2 or 3 places with butcher's string to hold in the filling.
- Set up grill for direct grilling on hot coals.
- When coals are ready, place hot dogs on the grill, parallel to bars on the grate. Cook until browned on bottom, then roll the dogs slightly to brown both sides of the filled "V".
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Snip and remove strings before serving.
- Toast buns on grill for extra eye-appeal.