Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
Horseradish sauces, both hot and cold, are basic to Russian cuisine. I like this one spread thickly on a ham I am smoking in my smoker.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup canned beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup prepared white horseradish, drained
- 1 pinch sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar (to taste)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Do not let the mixture brown.
- Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add the sour cream, horseradish, sugar and vinegar. Taste and adjust the sugar and vinegar, if desired. Stir and cook for a few minutes until heated through.