Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Serve this with hot roast beef or boiled beef. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup horseradish, grated
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- Place horseradish in a small saucepan.
- Add flour, salt, paprika and butter; pour in cream and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, pour over egg yolk, stirring constantly; return to saucepan and cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Serve at once.