Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great way to use the end of the season tomatoes. Adapted over the year - unique because it uses lemon juice for the acidic ingredient
- 20 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and cut, in wedges (no need to peel)
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium bell peppers, green or 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded and minced
- 59.14 ml finely grated horseradish or 59.14 ml prepared horseradish
- 7.39 ml crushed dried hot red chili peppers
- 7.39 ml liquid hot red pepper seasoning
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml salt
- Simmer all ingredients, covered, in a large heavy enamel or stainless steel kettle over moderate heat about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have cooked down to juice. Put mixture through a food mill or press through a fine sieve, forcing out as much juice as possible.
- Return strained juice to kettle and bring to a boil. Pour into 4 (1-quart) hot canning jars, filling each to within 1 inch of top. Wipe rims and seal. Process for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.