Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I came across this salad after I did a serch on shrimp salads. I was looking for something different. Gotta try it!
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice, listed below
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 ounce bean thread noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 head bibb lettuce, cored and leaves separated
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced peeled seeded, drained cucumber
- 8 chives
- mixed spice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Preheat a fryer to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, season the shrimp with the spice mix.
- In a small skillet, stirring, dry cook the sesame seeds over medium heat until lightly toasted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cellophane noodles to the fryer and fry quickly until puffed and golden. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil over high heat.
- Add the shrimp, ginger, and garlic, and quickly cook, stirring, until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the sherry and vinegar, and stir to deglaze the pan over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, mangoes, green onions, and pepper flakes, and stir to warm through and wilt.
- Remove from the heat and add the shrimp and ginger mixture, and cilantro. Stir to warm through and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Divide the lettuces among 4 plates and top with the shrimp mixture.
- Arrange cucumber slices on top and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Garnish with fried noodles, cilantro sprigs, and chives, and serve immediately.