Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
From about.com, this recipe is based on the ever-popular hot German potato salad. Look for fresh wax beans at the farmers' market or use frozen. Can also be served at room temperature. If you happen to know of which famous Hot German this recipe is referring, would you kindly Zmail me? Green beans can also be substituted for the wax beans. Fresh beans! Fresh! Fresh! You know the rules. Use tempeh bacon for a vegan version.
- 1 lb fresh wax beans, about 2 cups (yellow green beans)
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked and cut up into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh dill, for garnish (my addition)
- Steam fresh beans in salted water until tender. Drain beans; **reserve** about 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Cook bacon until crisp and set aside to drain on paper towel. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and sauté onion until lightly browned.
- Add bean liquid to pan and cook until liquid has reduced to 1/4 cup. Add next 4 ingredients and the cooked wax beans.
- Heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh dill.
I used frozen green beans and this turned out great. Can't wait until summer to use fresh beans.