I absolutely adore this salad. I like it enough I will actually eat bacon! Based on the way my MIL makes German Potato salad, this is probably not vinegary enough to be authentic, but I love it just the way it is. I hope you like it too.
- Peel potatoes, boil in salted water, then cube and put in large bowl. (You can keep skins on if you like).
- Fry bacon crisp and crumble.
- Sauté onion in the bacon grease, then remove.
- Pour out the grease, but don't wash the pan.
- In the pan, make dressing by add the oil, vinegar, a good dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Over potatoes in bowl, add in bacon, parsley, salt and pepper to taste, paprika (I like a lot of paprika!).
- Pour dressing on and toss.
- Let set all day to let flavors mingle.
- Heat in 350°F oven for about 15 minutes or until hot.
I am evil and used the bacon fat instead of the oil. I guess I will die sooner, but happier. Thanks!
I made this recipe exactly as written with no deviations. I am appointing 3 stars for ease of preparation, great directions and the ability to make this in the AM and reheat it at serving time. I made this for a BBQ yesterday and had a large portion of it left over. I had 10 guests and no one really cared for this recipe at all. It had a very strong vinegar taste and was oily, which is a dead recipe to me. I always try to make a recipe exactly as written the first time and if I want to make it again, I may tweak it where needed. But, unfortunately, I do not think I will be making this again. It very well may be because of the the part of the country we live, we are not accustomed to such a dish and flavor combinations.
This was great, although I made a few changes. I scaled it to serve 20 (!). I swapped the quantities of oil and vinegar, and I also put about a tablespoon of mustard in with the bacon and onion, it gave it a wonderful flavour. My husband has requested the leftovers as lunchpacks with nothing else! Thanks I'll make it again.