Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
German style vegetable and noodle combo. I have not tried this yet. I am posting it for a board request.
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
- 12 -14 ounces uncooked egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery or 1⁄2 cup cabbage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Rinse noodles with hot water and drain well.
- In large skillet, fry bacon until crisp.
- Drain and crumble.
- Remove all except 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until tender.
- Stir in sugar, flour, celery or cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Add water and vinegar.
- Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked noodles and parsley.
- Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
Sherry & I absolutely loved the dish, however, there must be a misprint on the amount of the noodles. We will definitely be making this again!! [editor's note: recipe was updated as a result of this comment 3/7/03]