Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This makes a pudding on the bottom as it bakes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 3⁄4 cups very hot water
- ice cream
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix flour,granulted sugar,2 tbsp cocoa baking powder and salt in ungreased square pan,9x9x2.
- Mix in milk,oil and vanilla with fork until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread in pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and1/4 cup cocoa over batter.
- Pour water evenly over batter.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until top is dry.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream.
I used to make this from the Hersheys cookbook. Excellent just as directed.
I really like this recipe but my fiance thought it was lacking something. It's a good recipe for when you want a fast dessert because chances are you have all of the ingredients on hand. Thanks for sharing!
This is the exact recipe that my mother made when I was a kid. It is good with any kind of ice cream, but makes an extremely fantastic combo with homemade vanilla ice cream!! The best "volcano" cake substitute there is! Thanks for posting.