Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Absolutely sinful recipe I found in a friend's cookbook. It's one my favorite cake recipes. It also works great for birthdays.
- 1 (18 ounce) packageduncan hines moist deluxe dark fudge cake mix
- 1⁄2 gallon brick vanilla ice cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 unsweetened chocolate squares (1 ounce each)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream, for garnish
- maraschino cherry, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease and flour 13x9x2-inch pan. Prepare, bake and cool cake following package directions.
- Remove cake from pan. split cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layer back in pan. Cut ice cream into even slices and place evenly over bottom cake layer (use all the ice cream). Place remaining cake layer over ice cream. Cover and freeze.
- For Fudge Sauce: Combine evaporated milk and sugar in medium saucepan. stir constantly on medium heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Add unsweetened chocolate and stir until melted. Beat over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and salt.
- Cut cake into serving squares. For each serving, place cake square on plate; spoon hot fudge sauce on top.
- Garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherry.
- TIP: Fudge sauce may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated in tightly sealed jar. Reheat when ready to serve.