Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is so much better than store bought and very easy to make. It can be kept in the fridge for at least a month and reheated in the microwave as needed.
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix together chocolate, sugar, and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until chocolate is melted.
- Raise heat, bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and beat in butter and vanilla.
Ok, this tastes delicious--so delicious--but I could not get it to thicken by boiling. I boiled for a long time--more than the six minutes. Weird. It is soupy but I am hoping it will thicken in the fridge for later.
I used unsweetened Ghiardelli chocolate and half & half instead of the condensed milk. I like the intensity of the Ghiardelli, and the half & half smooths it out a bit. I used a wire whisk to stir while it was cooking. It took about 4 minutes to come to the right consistency. This is a very easy recipe and I will keep the evaporated milk on hand in case fresh half & half is unavailable. I am sure it's good that way, as well!
talk about good..this is more than good it is great the only thing I did differently was I only boiled about 3 min instead of 6 as it just looked right at that time..and for me it was perfect..served this drizzled over #35084... very good