Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
Created in response to a recipe request. The basic recipe I started with tasted like a bitter Hershey's chocolate syrup. I didn't like that, so I tried again. I sweetened it up, gave it a flavor kick, and the second batch was perfect. It has the consistency of homemade caramel, which makes this hot fudge sauce live up to its name. As written this recipe makes 2 cups (a pint canning jar) of sauce, but when doubled it fills a quart-sized jar. This would be a fun recipe to double and fill jelly jars for gifts.
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces than the squares they come in, and put into a medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Slice the butter into 1/4 inch slices and add it to the chocolate.
- Melt both over low heat, whisking occasionally, until smooth. Add vanilla and cocoa.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar and the evaporated milk, alternately.
- Turn heat to medium and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low or medium low to keep it at a very gentle simmer, and whisk constantly until the sauce is thickened. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or room temperature.
- Store in pint jar, or other container with a tight-sealing lid.