Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this recipe in Betty Crocker's New Christmas Cookbook. It makes about 3 cups of sauce, which can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place milk, chocolate chips and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla (sauce will thicken while it is cooling).
- Serve warm over ice cream.
Awesome, and easy! I used fat free evaporated milk because that was what I had on hand, and threw in a handful of mini marshmallows, as someone else suggested to thicken it up a little, although I don't know that I would have needed that. It thickened fine as it cooled.
Chose this recipe because I needed something fast and I had all the ingredients. Yummy. I also added a pinch of salt. It seemed a little bitter - probably due to my chocolate chips - so I stirred in a few mini-marshmellows before I added the butter & vanilla. It added a little sweetness and helped thicken the sauce.
very tasty, easy sauce. I used 1/3 c. sugar, and 18% cream. After tasting the sauce, I thought something might be missing, and strange as it may sound, I added 1/4 tsp. salt. To me, that made it perfect! Thanks for a great recipe.