Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Magically making its own fudge sauce this cake will become one of your favorite last-minute desserts. Serve it with ice cream for an extra special treat. Note: if you use a dutch process cocoa you will have a richer, darker result. TIP: some reviewers have recommended "baking" this in a crockpot on High for about 2 1/2 hours and then letting it cool slightly before serving. Thanks for the tip!
Top Review by Chrissyo
Thank you Jo Ann. This is so yummy. It is easy to make. A no fuss pudding in the true sense of the word. Just what I like after a busy day when you need comfort food to lift your spirit. Eating this, you are able to say "Mmmmmm" and float into pudding heaven and forget the rotten day you had. Try it. You'll love it.
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, hot
- whipped topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350'F.
- In medium bowl stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 Tbls. cocoa, baking powder and salt. Blend in milk, butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Pour hot water over top; do not stir.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.
- Garnish with whipped topping.