Top Review by Chef d'arthur
I followed the directions and got a springy cake with pudding, indeed, at the bottom. But, the taste just was't for us. It was bitter, as if there was too little granulated sugar for the 6 Tablespoons of Hershey's Cocoa we used. I am so disappointed as I've used numerous recipes from the website and they all make me feel like a champion baker. With this, I am simply stumped and may try it again but with 4 T of chocolate rather than 6 and more granulated sugar. But, I am not skilled enough as an improvisor, so, I'm just stumped and will not use the recipe as printed again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons dutch process cocoa, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add milk, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Spoon batter into greased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
- Mix remaining cocoa and granulated sugar.
- Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Pour boiling water over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until cake springs back when touched.
- Let cool on wire rack 5-10 minues.
- Serve warm.