Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very reminiscent of the dessert my grandmother used to bake. Saucy and cakey all at once with rich chocolate flavour that's not too sweet. I'm a cinnamon lover but actually prefer this recipe made without the cinnamon. This is perfect when you need to whip something up fast using ingredients you probably always have on hand. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Whisk in milk, butter and vanilla just until smooth.
- Spread batter into baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Carefully pour 1-1/2 cups boiling water over mixture in baking dish.
- DO NOT STIR!
- Bake 30 minutes (batter will separate into cake and pudding layers).
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Serve warm (or cold!!) in dessert bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
i love this recipe. made it twice. it is so very good.
Cake: The batter came out to be at about the same thickness as bread dough. That told me right away that this was going to be a disaster. After cooking, it seemed that somehow the cake had risen to the top of the dish. It was thick, sticky, and bitter. I nearly spat it out.
Pudding(?): I wouldn't call it pudding, not hot fudge. I honestly didn't believe that simply mixing cocoa, sugar, and water together could make anything resembling fudge or pudding. And I was right. Underneath the bitter, nasty "cake" was a puddle of chocolate-colored water and lumps of what I assume is sugar and cocoa powder.
This is, by far, the WORST dessert I have ever made. It is inedible and atrocious to even look at. Nothing can save it from its own disgusting texture and bitterness.
The combination of textures made for quite the decadent chocolate experience. I often find chocolate cakes to be too dry for me, and this recipe was both easy to make and wonderfully moist. I'd recommend using high quality cocoa to fully appreciate the chocolate flavor.