Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Very reminiscent of the dessert my grandmother used to bake. Saucy and cakey all at once with rich chocolate flavour that's not too sweet. I'm a cinnamon lover but actually prefer this recipe made without the cinnamon. This is perfect when you need to whip something up fast using ingredients you probably always have on hand. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Whisk in milk, butter and vanilla just until smooth.
- Spread batter into baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Carefully pour 1-1/2 cups boiling water over mixture in baking dish.
- DO NOT STIR!
- Bake 30 minutes (batter will separate into cake and pudding layers).
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Serve warm (or cold!!) in dessert bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.