GREG IN SAN DIEGO's Note:
This recipe has big chocolate flavor to match its gooey, fudge-like appearance. The success of the sauce depends on using the right ratio of boiling water, sugar and cocoa. Put a fancy spin on this recipe by baking individual pudding cakes: Spay eight 6 oz. oven proof ramekins or coffee cups with cooking spray. Fill each with 2 T. butter. Top each with 1 1/2 T. batter. Top each with 1 1/2 T. cocoa mixture, followed by 2 T. boiling water. Arrange cups on rimmed baking sheet and bake until tops are just cracked, 20 to 25 minutes. This is Chef Stephanie Alleyne's recipe. It's a "keeper." Let me know if (when) you agree!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spray 8 inch square glass cake pan with cooking spray.
- 3Whisk 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl.
- 4Whisk flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- 5Whisk milk, butter, egg yolk and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth.
- 6Stir milk mixture int flour mixture until just combined.
- 7Fold in chocolate chips (Batter will be stiff.).
- 8Using rubber spatula, scrape batter into prepared pan and spread into corners.
- 9Sprinkle reserved cocoa mixture evenly over top.
- 10Gently pour boiling water over cocoa.
- 11Do NOT stir.
- 12Bake until top of cake looks cracked, sauce is bubbling and toothpick inserted into cake area comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes.
- 13Cool on rack for at least 10 minutes.
- 14To serve, scoop warm cake into individual serving bowls and top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 15Enjoy -- and go light on the calories tomorrow!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 234.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 41.3 g
- Protein 5.3 g