Recipe by Nova Scotia Cook
A fudgy cake smothered in a hot, chocolaty sauce...what more could you ask for? Found this recipe in my "Looneyspoons" cookbook by Janet & Greta Podleski. When you are looking for a dessert that is quick & easy to prepare, this is it. It claims to have only 285 calories per serving.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare cake batter, combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk & oil. Add milk mixture to flour mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir vigorously until well blended (you may also use an electric mixer on low speed).
- Pour batter over the bottom of an ungreased 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix together second amount of brown sugar and second amount of cocoa.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Pour boiling water over top.
- DO NOT STIR!
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until top of cake feels dry to touch.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 pieces.
- Spoon sauce from bottom of pan over individual servings of cake.