Recipe by COOKGIRl
My big brother Bo the crock pot king made this recipe recently. I took an itty bitty taste and told him I have to post this for my friends at Recipezaar! Bo's motto is: "All roads lead to crock pots." This is ooey-gooey chocolate decadence. Bo added the baking square and nuts. From Fix It and Forget It Cookbook for Crock Pot Cooking. *Note*: please use a 1.5 or 3-quart sized crock pot but no larger to prepare this recipe.
Top Review by Greeny4444
I was curious how a cake would turn out in my crock pot, because I have never made anything but dinners in it (I don't think). This is the same recipe that is in my Fix-it-or-forget-it crock pot cookbook, except for your additions of the baking chocolate and the nuts (both of which I didn't do). I used my 5 qt. crock pot, and I sprayed it with cooking spray before I began, for easier clean-up. I cooked the cake on HIGH for 2 hours, and we ate dinner quite later than I thought, so it actually sat on the counter (with the crock still with the lid on, but turned off and unplugged) for about 2 1/2 hours. The cake was still fine (still a little warm, even), the pudding layer was great, and it wasn't dried out or rock hard or anything. My husband ate his with vanilla ice cream, but I had mine plain, and it was really good. This is a great recipe. I'd say it serves 4. Thanks for posting it.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce baking chocolate square, cut into fourths
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Place the baking chocolate square pieces on bottom of crock pot.
- Spread the brown sugar/cocoa mixture over the bottom of the crock pot.
- In another bowl, mix together 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Sprinkle over the mixture in the crock pot. Add nuts if using.
- Pour in the boiling water. DO NOT stir mixture.
- Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH 2-3 hours or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Serve hot fudge cake warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Yield is estimated.