Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A cake baked in a slow cooker may seem unusual. But chocolaty smiles around the table prove how tasty it is. Sometimes, for a change of pace, I substitute butterscotch chips for chocolate FROM TASTEOF HOME!
- 1 3⁄4 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- vanilla ice cream
- •In a small bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Spread evenly into a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- • In another small bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and cocoa; stir in boiling water. Pour over batter (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
- Editor's Note: This recipe does not use eggs.