Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from TOH. It was originally submitted by Vera Reid.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread in an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa; sprinkle over batter.
- Pour hot water over all; do not stir.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
I got this recipe from TOH too and have been making it for years. So glad to find it here! It's an easy dessert that is quick to put together and fun to serve when friends and family are over. We always top with vanilla ice cream.