Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was very well-received at a dinner-party. The guests enthused and everyone left with the recipe. Easy too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces best-quality chocolate, coarsely chopped (semisweet works too)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
Vanilla Ice Cream Sauce
- 1 pint premium-quality vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Butter a 1-quart soufflé dish and sprinkle with sugar.
- Melt butter with chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Blend in ¼ cup of sugar, yolks, coffee mixture and vanilla; stir in flour (can be prepared several hours ahead and set aside at cool room temperature. Reheat before continuing.) Beat whites in large bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, beating, until whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold ¼ of whites into chocolate mixture, then fold chocolate back into whites (be careful not to deflate – a few streaks of white may remain).
- Gently turn batter into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400F and continue baking until puffed, about 20 minutes (center will remain moist).
- Serve immediately with sauce.
- (and remember – A SOUFFLE WAITS FOR NO ONE).
- Vanilla Ice Cream Sauce: Let ice cream soften 10 minutes; add rum and beat until smooth.