Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
taken from Southern Living. haven't tried it yet, but can't wait! "cooking" time also includes the time required for letting the cake to partially cool
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together flour, next 3 ingredients, and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Spread batter in a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Combine brown sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Using a spoon, gently drizzle 1 1/2 cups boiling water over batter, being careful not to disturb layers. (Do not stir.).
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a cake layer forms on top and layer springs back when touched.
- Let cool on a wire rack 25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
- VARIATION: Chocolate-Cherry Pudding Cake: Thaw 1 (12-oz.) package frozen dark, sweet, pitted cherries; drain. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, gently sprinkling cherries over batter in pan. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- VARIATION: Mocha Pudding Cake: Substitute hot freshly brewed coffee for boiling water. Proceed with recipe as directed.
This is a delicious dessert. It is not overly sweet. I will definately make this one again.
omgggggggggggg! ty Ellie for posting this recipe. I was given this recipe ages ago and had lost it. Was a french lady who had given it to me. Was called ( gateau chaumeur au chocolat)...It is so goooooooood! Can't wait to make it again, tyty :)
This cake is wonderful! My 11 year old son has made it twice for us now and it's so simple, but delicious too. It goes together quickly, and it's interesting to watch the three layers come together to form the cake and hot fudge. It's become a family favorite fast.