Cook1 hr 10 mins
taken from Southern Living. haven't tried it yet, but can't wait! "cooking" time also includes the time required for letting the cake to partially cool
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together flour, next 3 ingredients, and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Spread batter in a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Combine brown sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Using a spoon, gently drizzle 1 1/2 cups boiling water over batter, being careful not to disturb layers. (Do not stir.).
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a cake layer forms on top and layer springs back when touched.
- Let cool on a wire rack 25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
- VARIATION: Chocolate-Cherry Pudding Cake: Thaw 1 (12-oz.) package frozen dark, sweet, pitted cherries; drain. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, gently sprinkling cherries over batter in pan. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- VARIATION: Mocha Pudding Cake: Substitute hot freshly brewed coffee for boiling water. Proceed with recipe as directed.