Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is one I found in a cookbook that is falling apart. I am posting this to save it. I haven't tried this yet, but it looks interesting to me, as we like franks in casseroles.
- 3⁄4 cup regular rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb frankfurter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced with tops
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- In a saucepan, prepare rice according to package directions, EXCEPT substitute the 1 1/2 cups chicken broth for the water and omit the salt.
- In small saucepan melt butter, blend in flour, mustard, sugar and pepper.
- Add the 1 cup chicken broth all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Stir into rice with franks, bacon, celery, olives, onions and pickle relish.
- Turn into a 2 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 till mixture is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish wit more bacon and sliced black olives, if desired.