Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Taste of Home magazine and described as a crowd pleaser that is similar to a German potato salad made with colorful beans.
- 8 slices bacon (diced)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 ounces kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounces lima beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces green beans (drained)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces wax beans (drained)
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; reserve 1/4 c drippings.
- Set the bacon aside.
- Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and pepper to drippings.
- Stir in vinegar and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for two minutes.
- Add the beans; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Place in a serving bowl; top with bacon.
I really liked the combination of a bean salad with a hot bacon dressing. I added a half of onion slivered, a red pepper julienned, and a 1/2 t of red pepper flakes and thought the salad was colorful & flavorful enough to take to a potluck. This is a keeper!