1/3 Photos of Hot Five Bean Salad
Jane from Ohio's Note:
This is my mother's recipe. It's probably 40 years old. So yummy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) can green beans
- 1 (1 lb) can red kidney beans
- 1 (1 lb) can lima beans
- 1 (1 lb) can yellow wax bean
- 1 (1 lb) can garbanzo beans or 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar (I use white)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1Fry bacon until crisp.
- 2Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of drippings in pan.
- 3Mix salt, pepper, sugar and corn starch together.
- 4Add to drippings.
- 5Mix vinegar and water together.
- 6Add this slowly to mixture and cook on the low heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- 7Stir in drained beans very carefully.
- 8Add fresh onions and cook 15 minutes over medium heat.
- 9Turn into casserole dish and crumble bacon on top.
- 10Bake 25 minute at 350°F or refrigerate until the next day and bake.
- 11This recipe is best when reheated the next day in the oven.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Five Bean Salad
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 267.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 6.5 g