This is my mother's recipe. It's probably 40 years old. So yummy.
Make and share this Hot Five Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 lb) can green beans
- 1 (1 lb) can red kidney beans
- 1 (1 lb) can lima beans
- 1 (1 lb) can yellow wax bean
- 1 (1 lb) can garbanzo beans or 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (I use white)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of drippings in pan.
- Mix salt, pepper, sugar and corn starch together.
- Add to drippings.
- Mix vinegar and water together.
- Add this slowly to mixture and cook on the low heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in drained beans very carefully.
- Add fresh onions and cook 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Turn into casserole dish and crumble bacon on top.
- Bake 25 minute at 350°F or refrigerate until the next day and bake.
- This recipe is best when reheated the next day in the oven.