Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
This dish is fantastic as a starter - it looks good, tastes fabulous, costs very little and takes no time at all to make. In October we went to Thessaloniki and while there visited the fabulous Modiarna Market. Nikos Ouzeria in the market is our favourite lunch spot but this time they gave us something very different among the Mezes. I begged the receipe from them and here it is.
- 2 packages feta cheese (about 1/2 pound in weight)
- 2 large plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- extra virgin olive oil
- crushed dried red chili (to taste)
- place a large slice of feta on an individual heatproof plate per person and cover the top with thick slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle with the garlic and dried chillie and drizzle with olive oil (about a tablespoon).
- Grill/Broil under a fierce heat for 3 or 4 minutes until the oil is bubbling and the tomato just starts to blacken.
- Serve with lots of lovely fresh bread to mop up the juices.