Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, with the ends snapped off (uncut)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 quarts water
- 1 -2 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring water to boil and add salt.
- Drop beans in slowly so that the water continues to boil.
- When all beans are in the pot, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Keep a close eye on the pot as soda will cause it to boil up and over, which means you might have to reduce the heat a bit.
- Scum will gather on the top of the water, and this must be scooped off with a spoon.
- Continue skimming and stirring until the beans are done, which should take about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Drain and serve.
- ---To prepare the dressing---.
- Melt butter in microwave or in a small pan and stir in the herbs.
- Pour over beans.
- Serve hot.