Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A budget meal to keep in mind during those in-between paycheck weeks, when you just need to eek out few more days without running to the grocery store, and when you and the kids are just plain sick of pasta.
- 2 cups parmesan cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 -3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 regular package hot dog (any flavor)
- Split the hot dogs lengthwise and place on a cookie sheet.
- Fill the split with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F until the hot dogs are done and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
My grandmother would make these all the time for me when I was a kid. It brings back fond memories :)
The Parmesan cheese is a great addition. I sprinkle ground mustard on the hot dog before adding the mashed potatoes. It adds a little kick.
This sounded just weird enough to be yummy so I gave it a shot. Mashed potatoes, hot dogs, cheese, you can't go wrong! My daughter loved it and so did I! Little tip....I should've sprayed my cookie sheet with non stick spray or something...though it is kinda old.