I haven't tried this recipe yet from Publix Supermarkets but it looks really good, especially for summertime picnics. Bratwurst can be substituted for the hot dogs, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups grape tomatoes or 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 hot dogs (smoked) or 8 cooked bratwursts (smoked)
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved or quartered
- 8 hot dog buns, split and toasted
- 1For the tomato relish, fold a 36x18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18x18-inch square. In a medium bowl combine 2 cups of the tomatoes, the onion, garlic, oregano, mustard, water, salt, brown sugar and pepper. Place mixture in center of the foil. Bring up two opposite edges of the foil; seal with a double fold. Fold the remaining edges to enclose the mixture, leaving space for steam to build.
- 2For a charcoal grill, place the foil packet on a grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill for 10 minutes; turn packet. Grill about 10 minutes more or until onion is tender. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place foil packet on grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill as above.).
- 3Meanwhile, place hot dogs on grill rack around foil packet; grill for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally.
- 4Carefully open rellish packet and stir remaining 1 cut tomato halves and the grapes into hot relish mixture. Place hot dogs in toasted buns; serve tomato relish with the hot dogs.
Browse Our Top Kid-Friendly Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Dogs With Homemade Tomato Relish
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.6
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 902.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g