Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different twist on the hotdog soup. This is a fast, fun and very kid friendly meal. I have my daughter help me make this and she feels proud that she 'cooked' a meal with me. And then she gets to sprinkle the parmesan cheese in the bowls. The cream cheese makes the soup creamy and smooth and gives it a 'comfort food' feeling (I use a non-dairy 'cream cheese'). And for us, this is salty enough, so I don't add salt. I like to serve this with warm biscuits. Perfect for on a cold winter evening. Enjoy! :-)
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 8 ounces water
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (16 ounce) package frankfurters, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- parmesan cheese
- Place the onion and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir until the onion is soft.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, mixed veggies,frankfurters and spices.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and mix until well blended.
- Add cooked rice and simmer for 5 more minutes until warmed through.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Scoop into soup bowls, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and serve.