Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Does your hot dog need more meat and less condiments?
Make and share this Hot Dog Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Crumble ground beef into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in water, and mash ground beef thoroughly with a potato masher. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar, and chili powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, 60 to 90 minutes, until the sauce reaches a medium consistency that is not too soupy.
I had never heard of hot dog sauce before so I was looking forward to trying this. Made this with ground turkey and followed recipe as listed. This was a big hit with the kids. Thanks for sharing.
This was super easy to put together and was a nice change to the usual condiments. I made half the recipe so I used ketchup in place of the tomato sauce instead of opening a can. I would even double the seasoning next time. Very good with a sprinkling of grated cheddar. Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks Deb! :)
We are big eaters of ketchup in this house so I had to try this out and doubled the amount ! It has a perfect amount of bite with the chiil powder and makes a goodly amount so I will freeze half. I served this with noodles instead of hot dogs !