We loved it when our mom made these for us when we were kids. It is a fun way to shake up how you serve a hot dog, brat, etc. Feel free to sub your favorite hot dog style meat/veg product like turkey dogs, veggie dogs etc.
- Prepare hot dogs according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in the toaster, or if you are grilling your hot dogs, put the bread on the grill for a minute or two on each side.
- Spread one piece of bread with ketchup.
- Place the cheese slice on a second piece of bread.
- When the hot dogs are ready, slice them down the center lengthwise, and then again horizontally. You will then have four pieces that should fit onto the bread next to one another.
- Place the hot dog on the bread with cheese.
- Add any other condiments you'd like at this point (I know we like it simple with just the cheese and ketchup!).
- Top with the second slice of bread.
Yum! I've done something like this with bagels but bread works well too! This is such a great idea, especially considering you can never buy the same amount of hot dogs as buns (silly, right?). I substituted a vegetarian hot dog for the Veg Swap game. For extra condiments, I added a little ranch and avocado. Next time I think I'll use 1 and 1/2 hot dogs per sandwich to cover the whole thing.
These are wonderful! So simple and tasty! A nice alternative way to serve hot dogs. Thanks for sharing.
My kids like these sandwiches. I never thought of adding hot dogs to a grilled cheese sandwich before, but this went over really well with the kids.