Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We loved it when our mom made these for us when we were kids. It is a fun way to shake up how you serve a hot dog, brat, etc. Feel free to sub your favorite hot dog style meat/veg product like turkey dogs, veggie dogs etc.
- Prepare hot dogs according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in the toaster, or if you are grilling your hot dogs, put the bread on the grill for a minute or two on each side.
- Spread one piece of bread with ketchup.
- Place the cheese slice on a second piece of bread.
- When the hot dogs are ready, slice them down the center lengthwise, and then again horizontally. You will then have four pieces that should fit onto the bread next to one another.
- Place the hot dog on the bread with cheese.
- Add any other condiments you'd like at this point (I know we like it simple with just the cheese and ketchup!).
- Top with the second slice of bread.
These are so good! They were a hit in my house. I had a package of hot dogs that I had to use or lose and no buns. Luckily I found this recipe and it will definitely be going into my rotation for when I need something quick and easy. I did make a few changes though. I didn't put ketchup on it because not everyone in my house likes it. Also, I did a regular grilled cheese and just added the cooked hot dogs. So I Buttered the bread, put garlic salt and parmesan cheese on it, put it in the pan buttered side down, added the cheese and hot dog and cooked both sides till brown. So good!!
Yum! I've done something like this with bagels but bread works well too! This is such a great idea, especially considering you can never buy the same amount of hot dogs as buns (silly, right?). I substituted a vegetarian hot dog for the Veg Swap game. For extra condiments, I added a little ranch and avocado. Next time I think I'll use 1 and 1/2 hot dogs per sandwich to cover the whole thing.
These are wonderful! So simple and tasty! A nice alternative way to serve hot dogs. Thanks for sharing.