Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
i got this in my email, i thought it looked like fun.
- 1 1⁄2 cups seeded and coarsely chopped bell peppers (use a mixture of yellow, green, and red)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped white onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- boiling water, to cover
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 seeded jalapeno peppers, minced (the hottest you can find)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- Place chopped bell peppers, onions, and cabbage in large stainless steel or heat-resistant glass bowl and add enough hot water to cover.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes then drain and return to bowl.
- Combine 1/4 cup white vinegar with 1/4 cup water.
- Heat mixture to boiling and pour over drained vegetables.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes and drain again.
- Place drained vegetables in stainless steel pot, large enough to hold all of the ingredients, then add remaining ingredients and bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- then remove mixture from heat.
- Pour mixture into clean, hot, 1-pint canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes to seal the jars.
- Once opened, store tightly closed jar in refrigerator.
Very good and fun to make as the poster sald, however I wish I doubled the recipe to make more jars. I made 3 (12 ounce) jelly glasses but the jars are so pretty (I used a combination of bell peppers -- using 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red) -- and taste so good this would have been great holiday gifts if I doubled the recipe. There is one small discrepancy in the recipe with the white vinegar and water -- the ingredients specify 1/4 cup of each and in step 3 it specifies 1/2 cup of each--I used the 1/2 cup of each but I think it should be 1/4 cup of each as written in the instructions. Thanks for sharing!