Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister-in-law's mom's recipe. Made it one year, all the jars lasted TWO - even with me giving to family!!
- 12 large cucumbers, with skin on
- 6 large onions, peeled
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups white sugar
- Chop/Process cucumbers, onions and sweet peppers until they are smaller pieces.
- Put vegetable mix in large glass bowl (do NOT use metal) and add 1/4 cup pickling salt.
- Put in colander to drain overnight.
- In the morning, put mixture in a pot and cover with vinegar.
- To the pot, add turmeric, celery seed, flour and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until thick (ABOUT 15-30 minutes); be sure to stir right to the bottom so it doesn't stick and burn.
- While relish is cooking, prepare your jars- sterilized and hot so when relish gets thick you can put them right in the jars.
- I honestly have NO idea how many jars this makes- I forget now- sorry.
- Times do NOT include overnight draining or jarring time.
I've made this but I use green tomatoes- It's the best I will post my recipe later. I must try it with cucumbers.Thanks for the change.
This is a fantastic recipe!!! So glad that you shared with everyone, I had one similar to this years ago, but misplaced it. Thrilled to find this one, and making it was easy and the taste is brilliant on a hot dog. I have to say the only alteration I made, was I cut back 1/2 cup on the sugar. That was just a personal taste. Thanks again.