Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I have tried a lot of relishes and this one is one that has been my all time favorite. Cucumbers, apples, cabbage, peppers and cauliflower.
- 3 cucumbers, large unpeeled chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 large apples, peeled chopped (I use Gala)
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 5 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 cups vinegar
- In a food processor or blender, add all prepared vegetables. You want your vegetables to be very fine.
- In a large stainless steel bowl sprinkle salt over vegetables, top with water, let soak for 4 hours.
- Drain well, using a large strainer and the back of a large spoon, press out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer to large stainless steel pot.
- In bowl mix together dry mustard, flour, celery seed, sugar, turmeric, mustard seed and vinegar, mix well. Add to vegetables.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Process pints.
Almost like my mum's mustard pickle or piccalili!! Great for grilled meats etc. I made it about a week ago - and it is nearly ready to use now - we tried some on grilled cheese today - needs to mature abit more, but is GOOD! I more or less halved the quantities - and managed to make it it with everything as stated. Thanks Calee - another good preserves recipe for me to keep! FT:-)