The original recipe for this - which I've modified a bit - has been sitting in my computer recipe file for a long time - and I have no idea where it came from. At first I figured it was from the internet, but when I went looking with all my usual searching tools, I couldn't find it, so maybe it just showed up as an email virus attachment and parked itself in my recipe file, quietly waiting until I went insane enough to look for a salad recipe using hot dogs. Well, it happened one day last month and I decided to give it a go. I was sufficiently impressed with the results to share it with you. Oh, and kids seem to like this quite a lot as well. If you're going to serve it to little ones, make sure to cut the hot dogs up smaller (not just into circles) so as to avoid choking possiblities. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces macaroni or 6 ounces other small salad-type pasta
- 5 hot dogs, boiled and sliced in rounds (or smaller bits for young children to avoid choking hazard)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (no substitutes)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper (may omit)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced sweet gherkin
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (use both green and white parts) or 1/8 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions, just until tender.
- 2Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- 3Meanwhile, cook hot dogs as desired- grill'em, boil'em or pan-fry; cool enough to handle, then slice into circles.
- 4If small children will be eating this, cut the circles in halves or quarters to avoid choking hazards.
- 5Combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and salt & pepper in small bowl.
- 6Place hot dogs and pasta in large bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- 7Pour dressing over and toss gently with two spoons until all the bits are coated with dressing.
- 8Chill for two hours or longer in refrigerator before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Dog Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.1
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 37.4 mg
- Sodium 992.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: