1/1 Photo of Hot Dog or Bratwurst Relish
Tangy-but-sweet! This is a GREAT way to use up the OVERSIZE cukes that get missed in the garden. Zucchinis also work well in place of the cukes! Quantities listed are approximate--you can fudge or substitute a bit and still have excellent results. NOTE: Quantities listed are for GROUND UP amounts...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups cucumbers
- 2 cups red peppers or 2 cups peeled carrots
- 2 cups green peppers
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1In a meat grinder, grind up cukes, peppers/carrots, and onion to obtain proper quantities; sprinkle with tumeric.
- 2Dissolve salt in cold water; pour over cukes, let stand 3-4 hours (or overnight).
- 3Drain (line a colander with cheesecloth--use clothespins to hold in place), cover again with cold water, let stand another hour; drain again.
- 4In a large saucepan, combine spices and brown sugar with vinegar; heat to boiling (very fragrant!); pour over cuke mixture; let stand 12-18 hours (overnight is fine, too).
- 5Fill canning kettle half-full of water over high heat; put canning lids & rings in a saucepan with water--simmer.
- 6Heat cuke mixture up in a large pot, just to the boiling point.
- 7Immediately scoop into pint or half-pint jars to the neck of the jar; wipe top of jar, add lid and ring, tighten.
- 8Place jars in canning kettle with hot water JUST to the neck of the jars; bring ALMOST to boiling point; remove from heat.
- 9Remove jars and place them upside-down on a thick towel for 15 minutes (set the timer).
- 10Tip right-side up; lids should seal in a few minutes.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Dog or Bratwurst Relish
Serving Size: 1 (4829 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.4
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9468.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g