Recipe by LILLIANCOOKS
I tried many different hot dog onion recipes. I mixed and matched them til I got the perfect combination!
Top Review by The Spice Guru
Perfect! I couldn't have concocted a better recipe myself. Great balance of sweet, salty, sour, bitter, savory. In other words: YUM! This made a great authentic New York hot dog. Thanks, LILLIANCOOKS! Made for PAC Spring 2011.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, i use frank's brand
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a med. size skillet on med/high heat. Add onions and cook til onions are very limp and all fluid is evaporated. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the tomato paste and water. And simmer uncovered for a few minutes. Then add the tomato paste and water. And simmer uncovered again til it reduces in half. Serve ontop of cooked hot dogs.