Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like the red onion sauce served on the hot dogs you get from the road side carts, you'll enjoy this easy to prepare sauce.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion slices.
- Saute about 7-10 minutes until golden& limp.
- Mix in the ketchup.
- Add the cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder,hot pepper sauce& salt.
- Pour in water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.
Great! Thank you. I usually buy the Boars Head onion sauce and I forgot to pick it up last week. I tried a different recipe first and it came out like over buttered ketchup paste. I tried yours the following day and it was wonderful. I will never buy store bought again when I can make it at home. Absolutely terrific. Comparable to Boars Head.
Great recipe. A perfect splash of New York hustle on my Hebrew National! I do suggest substituting a squirt of sriracha sauce for the hot sauce and salt. Hot, sweet and a little salty... Just the way I like my women.
I made this after reading the great reviews. It turned out great! My husband said it was delicious.