Recipe by Member #610488
This is a copycat recipe for the fast food chain Hot Dog on a Stick's Corn Dogs and Cheese on a Stick.
- 6 cups pancake mix (Bisquick or your favorite brand)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 cups water
- 8 hot dogs, not frozen (wipe dry with paper towels)
- 1 (1 lb) package cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch x 3 inch sticks
- wooden popsicle sticks (enough to stick everything)
- canola oil, for frying
- spicy mustard, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix and cornmeal. Stir to combine. Add eggs and water, adding more water as needed for the batter to become slightly thick. Start out by adding 4 cups, then work your way up to 6 cups or more.
- In a deep fryer or large skillet, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Drop in a bit of batter to see if it's ready. The batter should immediately start to sizzle but should not immediately brown/burn. Insert sticks into hot dogs so that they're 2/3 of the way through. Do the same with the cheese sticks.
- Depending on size of your fryer or large skillet, dip a combination of hot dogs and cheese into the batter and allow excess to drip off for a couple of seconds. Carefully drop into the oil (stick and all) and use tongs or a spoon to make sure it doesn't hit the bottom of the pan and stick.
- Flip it here and there to ensure even browning, and remove them from the oil when the outside is deep golden brown (2 to 3 minutes). Serve with spicy mustard.