Member #610488's Note:
This is a copycat recipe for the fast food chain Hot Dog on a Stick's Corn Dogs and Cheese on a Stick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups pancake mix (Bisquick or your favorite brand)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 cups water
- 8 hot dogs, not frozen (wipe dry with paper towels)
- 1 (1 lb) package cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch x 3 inch sticks
- wooden popsicle sticks (enough to stick everything)
- canola oil, for frying
- spicy mustard, for serving
- 1In a large bowl, combine pancake mix and cornmeal. Stir to combine. Add eggs and water, adding more water as needed for the batter to become slightly thick. Start out by adding 4 cups, then work your way up to 6 cups or more.
- 2In a deep fryer or large skillet, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Drop in a bit of batter to see if it's ready. The batter should immediately start to sizzle but should not immediately brown/burn. Insert sticks into hot dogs so that they're 2/3 of the way through. Do the same with the cheese sticks.
- 3Depending on size of your fryer or large skillet, dip a combination of hot dogs and cheese into the batter and allow excess to drip off for a couple of seconds. Carefully drop into the oil (stick and all) and use tongs or a spoon to make sure it doesn't hit the bottom of the pan and stick.
- 4Flip it here and there to ensure even browning, and remove them from the oil when the outside is deep golden brown (2 to 3 minutes). Serve with spicy mustard.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Dog on a Stick Corn Dogs and Cheese on a Stick
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 872.2
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 150.4 mg
- Sodium 2084.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 33.1 g