Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy dinner! Don't forget the mustard or ketchup.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 4 large hot dogs
- 1 loaf rye bread or 1 loaf pumpernickel bread, sliced in half lengthwise (one-pound)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 slices American cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Cook onion in reserved drippings until tender.
- Cook hot dogs in boiling water for 5 mintues or until heated through.
- Toast bread under broiler.
- To assemble sandwiches, cut hot dogs in half lengthwise, cutting to but not through the other side.
- Place cut side down on bottom half of bread.
- Top with bacon.
- Alternate and overlap cheeses on top of bacon.
- Top with cooked onions.
- Place under broiler for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Top with top half of bread.
- Cut into 4 pieces.
Great easy and fun sandwich! I used a sourdough bread loaf and it was really great with the hotdogs, bacon, and cheese. I put onions on half and left half without. Enjoyed this - thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is a really great sandwich! My whole family loved it and my 15 year old came in and said it was great and asked it there was anymore...That's saying something! I used turkey bacon, onion buns, onions, light Oscar Mayer beef franks, and 2% cheeses and mustard. Wonderful and lower in fat! Thanks, we will make this again!
Mmmmmm... DH said I can make this anytime! I used kaiser rolls and organic all-beef hot dogs and cut the hot dogs both in half length and width-wise. I don't like onions and am lactose intolerant so I just had mine with bacon and hot dogs and toasted bread and it was still really yummy! DH had all the fixings and ate two huge sandwiches :)