Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My eldest daughter entered these into the fair a couple of years ago. The idea originally came from Family Fun Magazine. You can use your favorite cupcake and icing recipe! This was a very fun project for a Mom (or Dad) and a young child!
- circus peanuts
- 1 square caramel candy
- yellow decorator's icing
- red decorator's icing
- cut-up green gumdrop (optional)
- 1 baked cupcake
- 2 tablespoons white icing
- 1 teaspoon small mixed color nonpareils
- For the bun, cut a wedge in the circus peanut. If the caramel is soft, roll it into a hot dog shape. If it's hard, first soften it in your hand or in a microwave for a few seconds. Caution: the caramel can get hot!
- Place the "hot dog" in the bun and squirt on a squiggly line of yellow and/or red icing.
- Garnish with green gumdrop "relish," if you wish.
- Frost the cupcake with white icing, place the hot dog on top, and sprinkle on nonpareils.