Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A quick easy meal that makes a lot. Great for potlucks or sports parties.
- 1 lb hot dog
- 2 (1 lb) cans baked beans
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- Cut hot dogs into 1/2-inch pieces. Put in baking dish (12x8 inches) with beans, ketchup, water, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in large bowl. Stir in cornmeal. Add egg and rest of ingredients. Stir just enough to combine.
- Spread evenly over beans. Bake at 400° for 35 to 40 minutes.
This was good! I enjoyed the cornbread topping a lot. I do think there was something missing in the filling, but I suspect it was the quality of baked beans I used rather than a problem with the recipe itself. Because I don't eat pork I used vegetarian baked beans and turkey hot dogs, and it worked out just fine. I think what I wanted in the sauce was something sweet, like karo syrup (my mom always puts it in baked beans) or brown sugar. I will definitely keep this one around; thanks for posting!
This is going into a regular rotation for sure! Super easy and inexpensive, I love it :) Thanks for sharing.
This is a great tasting casserole. The onions and corn added to the topping really make it special. My cornbread topping rose nicely, and the "beenie weenies" underneath made for a mouth-watering combination. DH loved it, too! Thanks for a great recipe.