Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The custard has the flavor/texture of a good egg custard pie. Part of the bread bakes into the custard and what doesn't dissolve/blend has a nice toasty texture to combine with the custard when served. A quick dessert and a great way to use leftover hot dog buns. You can also used whole hamburger buns in a 9 x 13 pan and increased the amount of the custard mixture.
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- Place buns in lightly greased pan with sides, crust side up.
- Melt butter & pour over buns.
- Mix remaining ingredients & pour over all.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
This was a strange recipe. I would have given it more stars, however, I struggled with getting the right pan size for 6 buns. I ended up opening the hotdog buns and laying them in a 9x13 pan. The flavor is very good...sweeter than most bread puddings...but very tasty.
what a woman, i was going to post this recipe, too, lol. thanks for saving me the trouble. this makes a realllly good bread pudding and gets rid of those pesty leftover buns. thanks again for posting this. dh loves this recipe.