Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandma has fed this to me since before I could say yumm. It's a really cheap and easy casserole to make, and very tasty.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn (approximately)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- Fry hamburger, celery and onion together until celery and onion are soft.
- About 10 minutes.
- (If you prefer seasoned beef, season now.) Drain and set aside.
- While frying hamburger, boil the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the hamburger mix, pasta, frozen corn, tomato soup, and tomato sauce.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Scoop the mixture into a casserole dish and bake covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Variations: Top with cheese or crushed potato chips, add more onion, add cut green beans or peas.
- Instead of using tomato soup, you can mix 1 can tomato paste with 1 can tomato sauce, then add milk and sugar to taste.
Didn't go over very well with my boyfriend. He didn't like the corn or the onions in it. I thought it was 'ok'. Would I make it again? Probably not, but it's a great idea when you need to do something new with burger.
WE all enjoyed this -- comfort food which was very easy to make. I made a few changes based on what we had by using stew beef (instead of hamburg) and 2 stalks of celery and 2 carrots (instead of just celery) and 1 small can of V-8 juice instead of tomato sauce. We also used ziti pasta instead of elbow macaroni. Very good and healthy plus with the added benefit that this was all gobbled up by the four of us. Thanks for sharing -- we'll be having this often!
This is very easy to make and I like that it adds some vegetables that are usually not included in most beef/tomato/noodle dishes. I personally would add some additional spices in step 3 (as she mentioned could be done) and maybe find a substitute for the tomato soup. Something about the tomato soup gave the flavor a hint of something I can't quite name. Other than that, it is a pretty tasty dish.