Recipe by gulf-gal
These are so easy and they make the kitchen smell heavenly. Serve these with cocktails or dinner or as a snack. A friend gave me this recipe back in the 1970's and I still make them several times a year.
Top Review by Ginny Sue
Hot diggity - are these good! Probably the best garlic herb breadsticks I've ever made. Hard to believe they are made with cheap old hot dog buns. I used the ingredients just as listed, but baked them differently. After basting with the butter mixture, I divided into 4 groups of 8 sticks each. I froze 3 of the 4 portions in zip top bags for future meals. I baked 8 sticks immediately for dinner. I baked at 350F for about 10-15 minutes until crispy on the outside and still soft on the inside. The frozen packages are so easy to take out of the freezer, put in the oven, and have fresh garlic bread for a meal anytime.
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, parsley, oregano, basil and garlic salt.
- Cover a 15x12 jelly roll pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cut each hot dog bun in half lengthwise, than cut each half in half lengthwise, making 4 bread sticks from each bun. Lay bread sticks close together on jelly roll pan, cut side up.
- Brush all the butter mixture evenly over the bread sticks. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the bread sticks are dried out and crispy. Cool.
- Store in tightly covered container.